Blog Archive

Sunday 16 October 2016

Week 3 - Making Leaves






So far, I am finding the process difficult and challenging. I find that the interface of maya is particularly difficult to learn compared to other programs but I am finding that with different attempts I am able to find the right tool for the job- as there are many tools which appear to have the same ability and purpose.


For example, using insert edge loop and offset edge loop. Offset edgeloop tends to insert a loop which exists within the entire polygonal mesh where simply inserting an edgeloop runs through one side of the normal to the other.

These are a very simplified version of the leaf accessories which go on Almond's head. I have attached a lambert setting to them as well choosing a green colour just so I myself can convince myself they look like leaves. I had issue in getting the stalk the correct width but with this I should be able to create new polygonal meshes which can differ in width, such as arms and the muscles which flow with them.

What I'd like to improve?

I would really like to insert some veins which run from the stem of the leaf to make the leaf look more realistic and 3D. Perhaps, considering that this type of element could be left quite flat and then coloured with UV and texture maps alone. If this were to be used in software for a game or film, then a simpler geometry might be considered for rendering time.



No comments:

Post a Comment