Blog Archive

Thursday 12 January 2017

Additional - Making Teeth

One of the issues I noticed with my model was that she had no interior to her mouth. While I originally hadn't thought this was an issue, it really made a difference to the overall appearance to the model. By doing this I was also able to learn about the function of instances in the duplicating tool. I was also able to work with parent-child relationships in the hierarchy of the pieces in the mouth, and how they work and interact with one another.










What I did

Made Teeth

Polygon Pipe
Deleted faces
Create Polygon tool- Make tooth- extrude tooth
Duplicate special along the center pivot point. Using a 18 degree, as recommended by the Hank tutorials along the y axis.
As this creates an 'instance' relationship among the teeth, once I edit one tooth, the exact same edits are made to the other teeth.
Along the gums, I selected every other edge to create gums, and moved them down to create a zig zag pattern, and then scaled the gums up to fit the teeth inside.
Gave the Gums and teeth a parent-child relationship, by the last object selected becoming the child. This was beneficial as then the gums follow the edits made to the teeth and stay in proportion to them.

Textured with noise for the tongue to give a bumpy texture. I felt this worked really well, as the coverage of the bumps on the tongue is somewhat random and I was able to size down the noise so it looked particularly detailed.
anisotropic Texture for teeth so they would be overly reflective and white.
Blinn for tongue and gums so they looked somewhat reflective as if wet.
Scaled down the teeth to go into the mouth.

I faced some issues in the parent-child relationships, where I was unable to scale down the gums, and I was losing the relativity of position of the bottom jaw to top jaw. I was able to resolve this issue by going to edit and unparent. I also made a duplicate of the object to try and combine the objects together but was unsuccessful. In order to select the object I grouped the objects together in the outliner and was able to select all of the items to move them into the mouth this way. I am finding outliner to be particularly useful in selecting things which would often be inaccessible via click.

What I think has been very successful in this has been the texturing of the tongue. Through doing this, I am really able to see the function of bump mapping.

No comments:

Post a Comment