Blog Archive

Monday 19 December 2016

Using Outliner, Layers and the NameSpace Editor


Keeping the workspace clean is part of a professional workflow in the industry. I was renaming my layers while working with the UV editor, as I was 'hiding' using the show-hide option, some the hair while detaching the ear in my UVs as I was unable to see the head with the hair in the way. While trying to rename hair, I had an issue where each rename added a new name to the end of my layers. For example, 'hair' became 'hair'01' and so on. I also had this issue on renaming imports as one of my later head edits was called 'mouthbag', as I had added a mouth bag, recommended by Jaime since this prevents issues in viewers accidentally seeing missing geometry when rigging speech or light hitting the insides of the mouth.The issues in renaming appeared to be in imports as well as grouping and originally titling something in the first instances of modelling.

This was a rather embarrassing title for me to have for my work, I couldn't possibly hand in something even if the title was obvious: "mouthbag01:head" so I had to find a way around this. I googled the issue and found that others had the same issue and it was all rooted in both outliner and Namespace editor which can be found in Window - General Editors. Renaming in outliner, did not always work, and as a result I found the solution to the problem was indeed in the Namespace editor. To resolve this issue, Delete the name in the Namespace Editor and click the Merge with Parent option. This then allows you freedom the rename your objects as you please. While doing this, I also deleted the unknown objects and geometry within my work which Harley pointed out before.

http://blog.gameartworkbook.com/dcc-tools-autodesk-maya/how-to-rename-an-imported-model-in-autodesk-maya/

This is the blogpost I used to solve my issue. I quite often use blog posts, google my issue and learn quickly from others' own experiences.

To avoid further future issues, I should keep a close eye on my namespace editor, as well as outliner keeping an organised workspace as I work. It is easy to get confused when their is a lot of clutter in the outliner. Fortunately, it is easy to rearrange as you click on them they are highlighted in the viewfinders. If this wasn't an option, I don't think I would have been able to organise my work, at least not as quickly as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment